Week 3 has come and gone in the NFL. We are almost 1/4 through the season. The theme for this week article is… “Don’t drink the cool-aid “on some of these teams. For example, Peyton Manning threw for over 300 yards against the Detroit Lions Sunday night but his arm is shot. When the cold weather comes it will be interesting to see how he adjusts. The Broncos are 3-0 and have playmakers on defensive. If this were 5 years ago, everyone would have the Broncos as a Super Bowl lock. But, I am not drinking the cool-aid, I don’t think they will make the Super Bowl. Here are 5 things I learned about Week 3 in the NFL.
5) Rookie Quarterbacks- Marcus Mariota continues to play well. He threw for 367 yards and had 2 touchdown passes and 2 interceptions. But, there is a reason the Titans had the number 2 pick… they just don’t have a lot of talent. Tennessee scored 33 points and lost. Mariota has 833 passing
yards on the year with 8 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. His passing rating is 109.2. If you play fantasy football you might want to start him. Mariota is on pace to throw 43 passing touchdowns, the NFL Rookie record is 26, shared by Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson. Jameis Winston was 17-36 on Sunday with 261 yards, 1 touchdown and 1 interceptions. Tampa Bay only scored 9 points. Winston has 678 passing yards on the year with 4 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. His passing rating is 77.9.
4) I never believed in Jim Caldwell- The Detroit Lions are 0-3. This is no surprise to me. Head Coach Jim Caldwell was a horrible hire from the start. I watched Caldwell take the talented Colts (Tony Dungy’s Team) to the Super Bowl, only to follow that up and go 10-6, then 2-14. The so called “experts” talk about college coaches not making it in the NFL. Pete Carroll, Jim Harbaugh and Chip Kelly all had great success in college. Caldwell’s record at Wake Forrest was 26-63 and he was 12-53 in the ACC. Not exactly a power house conference.. There is a reason why the Lions haven’t made a Super Bowl, decisions like these are constantly made by incompetent people. Whoever hired him as a head coach should be fired.
3) The Patriots are on another level– You can “hate” the New England Patriots all you want, you can call them cheaters or any other name in the book. What I call them is “elite” The Patriots beat the Jaguars at home on Sunday, 51-17. Here is a list of the Patriots possessions.
Touchdown, Field Goal, Field Goal, Touchdown, Field Goal, Touchdown, Touchdown, Touchdown, Touchdown, Kneel, Game over. If this was a boxing match it would have been stopped in the first quarter. Whoever set up this game in the NFL office should be ashamed of themselves. If you are the Buffalo Bills, The New York Jets or the Miami Dolphins, SHAME ON YOU. The Patriots have won 12 of the last 14 AFC East titles. They keep beating up the division and those other three teams continue to take it.
2) What has happened to the AFC North – Lets get to the absurd first… For all the Johnny Manziel fans who want him to start, I get it. Your team is not going anywhere this year so you might as well see what the kid has. But, don’t you think the coaches on that team know who to start? They see Manziel and Josh McCown in practice every day, we don’t. McCown threw for 341 yards on
Sunday. I had “Big Ben” winning the MVP award. He was well on his way throwing for over 912 yards in 2 and a half games and had a QB rating of 113.1. But he is injured now and will probably miss a minimum of 4 to 8 weeks. If Michael Vick comes in and plays well, that is a huge indictment on Rex Ryan because Vick was awful with the New York Jets. The Baltimore Ravens are 0-3 and they still have to play the Steelers twice, the Chargers, the Seahawks and the Bengals again. Cincinnati is 3-0 and have one of the most talented rosters on both sides of the ball. But, the big question mark is Andy Dalton. Their quarterback has always played well during the regular season but in the playoffs he is 0-4 with 1 touchdown and 6 interceptions.
1) The Jets are the definition of insanity- Last week on my radio show (The Monte Cristo Sports Thing…Thursday’s at 7pm on WRNJ Radio.) I had a temporary melt down because Jets fans were talking about going to the Super Bowl after their week 2 win at Indianapolis. I like head coach Todd Bowles, I like the defense and the offensive talent (Chris Ivory at Running Back and Brandon Marshall at Wide Receiver). What I don’t like is a game manager at quarterback. Ryan Fitzpatrick’s two most productive years in Buffalo, he had 48 touchdowns 37 interceptions and 8 lost fumbles. That is a plus 3 turnover differential. That is below average. Compare Fitz to elite quarterbacks, Aaron Rodgers two best seasons with the Packers he had 83 touchdowns 11 interceptions and 2 lost fumbles. That is a plus 70 differential in two years!!!! Jets fans… this is the same quarterback this franchise has had for years. If the Jets are winning and establish a run game early, Fitz is fine. But when you need him to make plays when trailing or need him to have a game winning drive he is going to be what he has always been… an average quarterback at best, AT BEST! Fitz threw for two touchdowns and three interceptions yesterday. He looked decent at times and horrible at other times. There is a reason he’s played on 6 teams in his NFL Career. He can’t throw the ball down the field, so when you are losing and need big plays, the Jets have to dink and dunk, just like they did with Chad Pennington. You know who never will play on six teams in their carerers… Good quarterbacks like, Rodgers, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Andrew Luck and Marcus Mariota. As a Jets fan I am used to this scenario, the Jets have never had a legitimate quarterback in their prime since 1969.
Bonus Coverage: The Arizona Cardinals look amazing so far. They are blowing out teams out, outscoring their opponents 126-49. With Carson Palmer as their starting quarterback they have won 16 out of their last 18 games. But, when you look at the history of the NFL, there are very few quarterbacks who win a Super Bowl after playing ten years in the league. Most QB’s win the Super Bowl within their first 10 years. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Eli Manning, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger.
Amari Cooper and David Carr appear to have a bright future for the Raiders. Finally this organization drafted the right players.
The Bills bullied the Miami Dolphins 41-14. Rex Ryan has a ton of talent on both sides of the ball. But, his game managing and the team being undisciplined will ultimately cost them. They have 30 penalties in 3 games.
The NFC East is wide open… First team to 9 wins, takes the division
Follow the Sports Whisperer on Twitter: @Montetjwitter11 and tune into my radio show… The Monte Cristo Sports Thing, Thursdays at 7pm on WRNJ Radio.